Monday, January 2, 2017

Takeoff


Today’s the day. Surprisingly, I was able to sleep adequately the night before. It still doesn’t feel real. I’m about to embark on probably the most exciting and amazing adventures of my life and even I don’t believe I’m going on it. However, I am constantly reminded by friends and family that I will not be in the United States for almost half of a year, so I’m brought back to reality fairly fast.
The drive from Ashland to Dulles International was stressful, long, and dreadful. The closer I got to the airport, the more excited I got. It was finally happening. What I had been diligently planning for months was finally coming true and I would be in the air just a few short hours from this time. Once the ticket and check-in kiosk opened at 4:30, I had to do one of the hardest things I have ever had to do. I had to look my family in the eye and say goodbye. Dad was able to keep his composure up until this point, but it was really difficult, as it always is, to see him cry. Mom, as I knew, was the hardest to watch and say goodbye to. I knew that my entire family was proud of me, and that they couldn’t be more excited for me to go on this trip, but having to say goodbye to the woman who has been one of my biggest supporters and advocates was extremely difficult. Anna-Marie was able to keep herself together, but I know that I am going to miss her deeply, especially the daily punches she deals out to me. TSA and Security was extremely easy to get through, and baggage check was a breeze. I was able to sit in front of my gate for hours and watch the other CNU students roll up. I could tell we were the most talkative people waiting at the gate. We finally boarded with a slight delay, and now it’s 8:54 pm Eastern Time, and I’m on my way. It’s a weird feeling, leaving the place you call home. I’ve built my life here, I’ve made incredible friends and I have a beautiful family. Leaving that all behind for a while is strange, scary, and exciting all blended up into an emotional smoothie (excuse the word choice). I don’t think I’ll sleep much on the plane ride, but I’ve got my phone charging and playing Sara Bareilles on repeat, so I think I’ll be okay. Goodnight and goodbye America, I’ll see you on my return trip from the other side of the pond.

No comments:

Post a Comment