Saturday, January 14, 2017

The Isle of Arran


I must say, I did not know that so much went into planning a trip. Before I decided to come to the Isle of Arran, I had to figure out how to even get there. Subway, train, ferry, on foot. In that order. I looked at times for the ferry, which were limited, but since I didn’t have any classes on Friday, I figured that a midday ferry ride would get me there with enough time to explore the area a bit before it got dark. So I planned my train ride and subway ride in respect to that ferry ride. Ended up leaving my room at 9:45 in the morning so that I could be early to where I needed to be. No use being late. I also needed a place to stay for the night, so I found the cheapest place that still looked fairly clean and homey, and I found the Strathwhillan House, which was only 50 pounds for the night.

So I got to the subway that morning and it dropped me off right in front of Glasgow Central Station. I had walked by it a couple times when I went to City Centre, but it looked intimidating so I didn’t go in. It also happened to be the closest train station to where I was, so I was backed into an uncomfortable corner yet again. I was going to conquer it.

Doing that with someone is difficult, but doing it by yourself is even more so. I felt like a lost puppy all the time who just managed to find where he was going by accident. But, nonetheless, I got on the train in the nick of time. As soon as I sat down, the doors closed and we were pulling away from the station. I got to Ardrossan Harbour, which is where I would board the ferry, at about 12:00. This was perfect, since the ferry was supposed to leave at 12:30. Unfortunately, I was told by someone who worked on the train that the 12:30 ferry was cancelled for a reason I do not remember. The next ferry out was 3:something. Ok. No problem. At least I don’t have to wait that long. After what felt like forever, they made an announcement, which I couldn’t hear because I’m still riding the struggle bus on figuring out their accents. I went up to the ticket office and asked what the announcement was, and they said the ferry was delayed until 4:15.

Looks like I missed the boat (LOOK A PUN) on getting there before dark.

When the ferry did arrive, I got on board and they had a large galley area and a kitchen. PERFECT. I hadn’t eaten all day, and this was a perfect opportunity. I sat down at the smallest table I could find, which sat 4, and got my food. I had a woman and her two kids ask if they could sit in the other two seats opposite me, and I said yes.

Mistake #1.

She left the two youngins at the table and waited in line for food. Of course, with mommy gone, they decided to be a pain in the… neck. I guess they didn’t have a concept of personal space yet. I couldn’t say anything, because it wasn’t my kid, but when I finished eating I bolted. I found another seat somewhere else, and I began typing this out because it’s dark outside and I have nothing outside to look at.

I got off the ferry and it was dark, but I had memorized how to get to the Strathwhillan House, which was a little inn that I booked a couple days before. It was a cozy place, and my room had its own bathroom, queen sized bed, and an actual working heater (mine at UofG doesn't work that well). I was able to fall asleep fairly fast, especially since traveling there took longer than I expected. This was also ideal because breakfast (that was part of the money I paid for the room) was at 8:30 and I wanted as much time to explore as I could. So after I ate a really good breakfast and tea, I headed out toward the town and down the road. I saw a large hill (not a mountain) and climbed that, and had an amazing view.


 It was at this time that I also saw a beach near the town, so I trekked back down and went to go see the sun peak over a nearby mountain.



I then saw a castle in the distance, and honestly how can I not go see that? So I figured out a way to get there on the road, which took longer than expected, but I got there and had more amazing views and a cool castle to look at.







It was at this point that I saw a sign that pointed me in the direction of Goatfell Mountain, which is the highest peak on the island. I had also heard that the mountain takes about 5 hours to climb and get back down, and by this time, it was 11:30, and it gets dark at 4, so I knew it wouldn't happen, but I climbed as high as I could, and I must say, that it was incredible. Most parts of the mountain looked like a scene out of Harry Potter, and it was so beautiful. Nature was the only thing around you, and no sound of humans except the breath escaping your lungs could be heard. Little streams, the wind, and even animals could be heard, but that was it. It was so relaxing, cleansing, and fulfilling to be there, and I want to go back later and climb the whole mountain. 







 
I was going to take the 4:40 ferry back to the mainland, but my feet were absolutely killing me, so I got back to town and grabbed a quick lunch, and then waited for the ferry, which arrived not 20 minutes after me. After we got over, I hopped right on the train, then the subway, and I was back in my room by around 6. I was so tired, but I had pictures to edit and upload, and also the blog to write, so I persevered until that was done.

I must say that this trip, although Loch Lomond was amazing, was my favorite because I got to do it by myself. It's not going to be often that I take adventures by myself, and I feel that I will remember those more because they are more personal. So, the preparation for another week of school begins, and the CNU Crew is attending Burns' Night, which is the celebration of the famous poet in the country, on Saturday, and I can't wait to experience the culture and festivities!

1 comment:

  1. Amazing experience. Bravo to you for perservering and thanks for sharing. Love your photos.

    ReplyDelete