Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Day 1 - Time to Explore

Right after we jumped off the plane and waited for life plus thirty years for everyone to get their luggage from the baggage claim, we grabbed a cab and drove across the city to our residence check-in office. My cab driver was extremely friendly and told us all about the city, all while driving on the wrong side of the road. It was a little unnerving, especially since they have more round-a-bouts than stoplights, and they were driving on the left side of the road. But our driver made us feel very comfortable, since he didn't drive like he was in Times Square.

We got to the check-in office and immediately were given our room keys. We hefted our bags up to our flats, which consist of a full kitchen, dining area, living space, five individual bedrooms, and a two-part bathroom. One room has a toilet and a sink, and the other has a shower and a sink. And the light switches are backwards from what I'm used to. You have to flip them up to turn them off, and down to turn them on. Still going to have to get used to that one.





I spent a good hour or two unpacking all of the things I managed to cram into my two suitcases and backpack. I also hadn't eaten since right before my flight the day before, so after I got most of the clutter dispersed, a couple of my CNU friends and I went out to explore and find a place to eat. I would have gone out with my flatmates, but they were MIA, and I have still yet to see them. I hear them in their rooms, but if they are the types of roommates that keep to themselves, I'm okay with that.


We found a little sandwich shop that had really cheap but really good food, and then we decided to do what we had wanted to do as soon as we got there - explore the school grounds. On the way there, we passed the enormous and extremely beautiful Glasgow Art Museum, and walked through the park and up the road to the main building of the school.



Exploring the main campus was like a dream come true. All those times that I had looked at the school on Google Maps pailed in comparison to seeing it in real life. It was exquisite, magnificent, and every other possible adjective that could be used to describe something at the same caliber of what this school is. Unfortunately, the doors were closed to the inside, so we could not go exploring the halls, but seeing the grounds of the castle-like school was enough to take in on one day.



Tomorrow, a group of us are going to the art museum and also look at the rest of the campus so that we aren't totally lost on the first day of classes. It's still so unreal that I am even here experiencing this! I'm not even really that dragged down by jet lag, but I already miss home. I know that the more I get myself into, and the longer that I am here, the less that feeling will be, but I'm not going to let that get in the way of me having one of the best adventures of my life.


3 comments:

  1. What are you studying while you are there and why did you decide on Scotland? I am looking over my genealogy on this early morning g and found my family dates back in Scotland as early as the 1292 and the 1600s as Clan McGregor and the Murray Clan residing still to this day in the Highlands of Perthshire in the magnificent Blaire Castle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've actually been to a tartan store, where I saw the plaid of the McGregor clan! Scotland is beautiful and I can't wait to go into the Highlands

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're all going to live vicariously.

    ReplyDelete