Friday, January 20, 2017

The Devils Pulpit

Not having class on Friday, as well as about 7 other CNU people being in that same boat, let's just say that spontaneous adventures are bound to happen. A bunch of us had always wanted to go to a beautiful, obscure place known as the Devils Pulpit, which wasn't that far from Glasgow. We got two Ubers to take us to the Google maps location, which ended up being this little dirt patch on the side of the road without a sign or without any indication that this place existed. We eventually found a well-trodden path along the side of the road, and decided that it was the best option since we couldn't do anything else. All of this was after Johnny forgot his backpack with his camera and laptop in the uber car.

We had to cross over a bridge that went over the giant 100 foot gorge, and we could see all the way down, but it was REALLY far. This picture does not do it justice (honestly none of the pictures really help you understand the still beauty of the place).


We climbed over the wall right after the bridge, because we found where the dirt path picked back up. The trail wound alongside the gorge, but it was really muddy in some spots, so we had to find new ways a few times so that we didn't get stuck. We finally got to the steps that I had read about, and they were the steepest, most slippery, and uneven things I had ever walked down. We took a good 15 minutes to go down 100 feet, but if we screwed up, we would have had a really rough time going down.

We finally reached the bottom and I kind of had to stop myself, rub my eyes, and pick my jaw up off the cold rocks. This place exhibited a magic that I can only try to explain. Everything was so still, so old, so full of stories that only nature could tell. Moss was covering everything, the soft sound of the waterfall around the corner could be heard, and the air and water was so clean and pure. It had never been a place we had ever gone before, and honestly I could understand why there wasn't much fuss about it... who would want to give up such a special secret like this?









At one point, Johnny decided to go barefoot toward the waterfall, which I tried to do, but the water was way to cold. Like hypothermia, frostbite cold. I don't know how (or why) he did it. We finally decided to head back up to reality, and once we got there we had to figure out how to get a ride back, since we figured out that Ubers don't come out that far, and buses don't either. So we were stuck together trying to figure it out, and a water truck pulled off to the side of the road to figure our his route. Johnny, Ellie, and Christine went to go talk to him about how to get out of this place, and he called us a cab, went to go meet them, and directed them to us and out of the place with us. Whoever that nice Scottish man was, we will most definitely remember him forever, because if he hadn't been so nice and willing to help, we really don't know how we would have gotten home. We almost flagged down a police car to see if they could help us, but luckily it didn't come to that.

We were on our way back, and all I could do was look at the pictures I had taken on my camera. I couldn't believe we had been there... it was a fantasy land (that apparently had been a filming scene for the show Outlander) that I never wanted to leave. Time seemed to slow down there. I really want to go back when it is warmer, so that I can explore more!!

Oh, and by the way, school is going great! I have all my classes figured out. I have an anatomy test Monday, so I better go study.


1 comment: