Saturday, February 18, 2017

Glasgow Botanical Gardens (AKA my favorite place in Glasgow so far)

I had heard about the extraordinary place called the Glasgow Botanical Gardens, but I had not had the opportunity to experience it yet. Until one Thursday morning. I didn't have class until 2 that day, and so I decided to go with Claudia to see what all the fuss was all about.

Fuss indeed.

I have been to some beautiful places in Scotland, but because it is still winter, it is likely that things are not in full bloom. But, since the gardens are mostly in greenhouses and tended to very carefully by maintenance, EVERYTHING is in bloom. So many flowers, ferns (yay!), cactuseses, and succulents. It seemed like the greenhouse would not end, and honestly, I really didn't want it to. It was amazing to see just how diverse the world is, because just about every plant you can think of from all across the world was present in these gardens.












It is really easy to get yourself lost in this place. Not like, physically lost, but you could spend all day in there and not get bored. The smell is great, because it smells like life and growth, and it is also quiet. All of the noise of the city that is around you is drowned out by both glass walls, but also your own comfort of being there.

There is a rose garden outside, but it was obviously not in season, because it was just dead bushes everywhere.

There is also a small area that seems kind of obscure, but there is a sign that points to the deep drop that was once a train terminal. It is all fenced in, but upon further research, there is a way to get to it. Trying to climb the fence and drop down could break you legs, but there is a part of Glasgow that has some woods that you can follow down into a short tunnel that emerges into where the fenced in gorge is in the botanical gardens. If I have some time and courage, one day I want to find it.

I will go back to the Botanic Gardens when spring has sprung, but there is not doubt that I absolutely loved my short few hours there.

P.S. Thanks for being my partner-in-crime 

No comments:

Post a Comment